Sound English® is an ideal resource for teachers and volunteer tutors of:
• adults newly arrived in Australia who are beginning to speak and read English
• adults and secondary school students who have difficulty with basic literacy
• adults and secondary school students who are students learning English as second language.
Each book includes detailed but simple tutor notes.
There are three levels:
Preliminary, Level 1 and Level 2.
||Ten books that introduce essential sight words and provide illustrations that form a useful basis for talking with the tutor.|
|Level 1||Twenty books that introduce 23 basic sounds of Australian English. The language is simple, with a full-colour illustration on every page.|
|Level 2||Twenty books that introduce the remaining 21 sounds. These use more complex text designed to provide repeated exposure to sounds covered in earlier books.|
Packs of Preliminary Level, Level 1 Books 1-10 and Level 1 Books 11-20 are available for Windows and Mac computers. Available on the same CDROM for
• Windows (Windows 98 and later, including Windows 8)
• Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) and later.
Note: The software is not available for Level 2 books.
Site licences and Lending Library editions are available to educational institutions and public libraries.
They present the text and pictures in the books. The student taps the speaker icon to hear the whole page read. Each word is underlined while it is spoken by a human voice.
A single word can be heard spoken in a different voice by tapping on it.
In Level 1A (1-10) and 1B (11-20) books, if this word contains the phoneme featured in the book it will be spoken first, then the whole word.